Its December 30th.
I’m in the tail end of a sugar hangover from all the Christmas cookies I utterly destroyed during yesterdays family Christmas party.
I’m not going to get any “real” work done so I am thinking about what 2020 means to me and if 2019 was worth a shit.
Tis the season.
I try to do “more” every year. 📈
More of what I want. More of what I will remember. More of what makes me enjoy being alive. Thats how I define “more.”
2019 was big.
2020 should be “more.” Obviously.
My “more” recap of 2019: (chronologically-ish)
- Drank cheap beer with an Aussie man with only a few teeth in an opal mine in the town they filmed Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Slept under the stars in the outback. Made some new friends. Got some wicked sunburn and saw some cricket with a friend I met on a different continent. Australia. Good times.
- Legally speaking me and my cofounder Ryan incorporated FeedX Inc. A startup working to transform the future of animal feed for the better.
- Considered opening a feed mill in upstate NY. Spent a few weeks playing around with the details of what that would mean in NY. Decided that might be a dumb idea and maybe kill the company. Scrapped it.
- Got invited to sit on a panel about the future for farmers at Commodity Classic in Florida. Took advantage of the trip, held an agtech meetup with a friend, not many attended but I got to make friends with a guy building a blockchain company I had once shitposted on twitter. Turns out they actually do cool stuff.
- Applied to YCombinator for my 5th time. We got an interview. Flew to California. Freaked out for days and days about our interview. We didn’t get in. Flew home. Soul was crushed for a day or two. Shit.
- Applied to some other accelerators. Big time suck. Got some second interviews. Didn’t get into any.
- Spent 10 days in Boulder, CO area thinking about moving there. A candidate HQ state for FeedX. Got pummeled by a freak random hail storm when out for a run. Woof. Beautiful place. Didn’t move there.
- Tried raising seed capital for FeedX. Talked to a bunch of vc and angel types many of which where the either the wrong fit, wrong stage or we where just not very convincing. Put that on pause for now. (Mind is telling me I’m not supposed to admit to this?)
- Moved off my family farm to Madison, WI, to spend 100% of my time dedicated to building FeedX.
- Lost 30 lbs ( gained 10 first! lol ) Low carb, meal prep, and a small fortune worth of quest cookie dough protein bars was key for me.
Probably more that you needed to know and maybe more than I am supposed to admit.
Maybe it sounded like bragging. Maybe it was? 10 things was more than enough to make the point.
The important part is I want you to notice is how much I failed or things just didn’t work out.
I like it when people are aloud to see that reality for most is a shit show. These manicured life stories are lame and even harmful.
I literally failed at most the things I tried at in 2019 depending on how you define failure.
I wish I would have failed less but that was not my reality. I have regrets. I think thats normal and fine.
Buy my 2019 was a huge success!
It was a success because I did not fail to try for what I want. I did not fail myself.
I’ve been failing for roughly 29 years now and hope to continue doing so well past 100.
Doing “more” means more failing. Getting over that fact is important.
I hope this didn’t come off as failure porn.
I’m excited to do more in 2020.
Embrace the shit show.
Happy New Year! 🚀